Classic Red Chile Stew
Try spreading this on Indian Fry Bread, then folding the bread over the filling.
- 8 dried red New Mexican chiles
- 2 pounds pork or beef stew meat, cut into 1
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups beef broth, divided
- Arrange chiles on a cookie sheet and place in a 200 degree F oven for 5 minutes
or until they smell like they are toasted. Be careful not to burn them. Remove the
stems and seeds. Cover chiles with 2 cups of the beef broth and let sit for 20 minutes
until they are softened. Place chiles and broth in a blender and puree until smooth.
Brown meat in oil and remove from the pan. Add 1 cup of the beef broth to the pan
to deglaze it.
- Combine all ingredients in a crockpot or large pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat,
and simmer for 2 hours, or until the meat is very tender and starts to fall apart,
and the stew is thickened, adding more water if necessary.