Cranberry Chicken Stew
- 4 chicken legs, thighs attached
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced 1/4-inch
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds red bliss potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups Ocean
Spray® Cranberry Juice Cocktail
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F and an ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and thoroughly dredge
- Pour the canola oil in the preheated pan and sear the chicken legs on both sides
until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Set the chicken aside and carefully pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the remaining
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the onion, carrot, celery, potato, garlic
and cranberries. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the cranberry juice cocktail, red wine, sugar, cinnamon stick and chicken
legs to the pan and bring to a simmer. Check for seasoning and add more salt if
- Remove from the stove and make sure the chicken legs are submerged in the liquid.
- Cover tightly with lid or foil and bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and let rest covered for at least 15 minutes.
- Serve the chicken legs in bowls with the vegetables and broth.
Recipe developed by Chef Tom Berry of Bambara Restaurant.
Recipe and photo credit: Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc.