Dead Heat Kentucky Burgoo
- 1 fat hen (4 pounds)
- 1 to 2 pounds stew meat (beef, veal and/or lamb)
- 3 to 4 pints water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 small cans tomato puree
- 12 potatoes
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large head cabbage, finely chopped
- 6 to 8 medium tomatoes, peeled, chopped
OR 3 (1 pound) cans tomatoes
- 6 to 8 ears of corn, cut off the cob OR 3 (1 pound)
cans cut corn
- 1 pound fresh carrots, sliced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 to 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups fresh sliced okra
- 2 cups fresh cut butterbeans (optional)
- 2 green peppers, finely
- Cook chicken and other meat in water with coarsely ground pepper and cayenne
pepper until chicken will leave the bones and the meat is very tender (about
- Remove bones, shred meat and return to the liquid.
- Add tomato puree, potatoes, onions, cabbage, tomatoes, carrots and corn.
- Season with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook slowly for 2 to 3 hours, until consistency of a thick stew, stirring
from the bottom to keep from scorching. Add water, if necessary, to keep from
If you like additional vegetables, add 2 cups fresh cut butterbeans,
2 cups fresh sliced okra and/or 2 green bell peppers, finely chopped.
Source: The Kentucky Derby Museum Cookbook