Easy Curried Chicken with Potatoes
Chicken and potatoes simmered in tomatoes, onion and spice make this a hearty
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar 60 mL
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons
chopped fresh ginger 30 mL
- 1 tablespoon curry powder 15 mL
- 1 teaspoon ground
cumin 5 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom 2 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 1
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes 1 mL
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds 10 mL
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander 5 mL
- 2 pounds chicken pieces 1kg
- 1/4 cup canola
oil 60 mL
- 2 large onions, chopped 2
- 1 (28 ounce/796 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 baby yellow potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro 60 mL
- Combine vinegar, garlic, ginger, curry powder, cumin, cardamom, cloves, red pepper
flakes, mustard seeds and ground coriander in food processor or blender. Blend until
smooth. Place mixture in large bowl. Add chicken and 2 tablespoons (30 mL) canola
oil and toss to coat chicken well. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons (30 mL) canola oil in large saucepan over medium
high heat. Add onions and sauté until golden, about 7 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned, turning pieces once, about
5 to 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper and potatoes. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick. Serve chicken and potatoes in soup bowls and garnish with
6 to 8 servings
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving Calories 290 Total Fat 11 g Saturated Fat
1.5 g Cholesterol 65 mg Carbohydrates 20 g Fiber 4 g Protein 27 g Sodium 550 mg
Reprinted with permission from Canola Test Kitchen, CanolaInfo.org