Easy Oven Stew
A family favorite, from a decades-ago Hunt's and Wesson advertisement.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon
- 1 to 2 pounds beef, cut up for stew
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 or 2 onions, quartered
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 6 small potatoes or cut up large
- 6 small carrots, in chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper and paprika in paper or plastic bag. Add beef and
shake to coat meat with the seasoned flour.
- Put oil in 3-quart casserole. Add meat
and toss well to coat meat with oil.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Stir.
baking for another 15 minutes, or until meat is browned.
- Add vegetables and mix with meat and juices. Add water and salt and pepper to
taste. Pour tomato sauce over all. Mix. Cover.
- Bake at 300 to 350 degrees F for
1 to 2 hours, until meat and vegetables are tender.
Makes 4 servings.
Posted by Marianna at Recipe Goldmine 11/12/2001 12:44 pm.