- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic,
peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
teaspoon granulated sugar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) can
whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
(32 ounce) can ranch-style beans, undrained*
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups water
- Brown ground beef in bacon drippings, separating meat with a fork as it cooks.
- Add onion, green pepper, garlic and celery; cook until vegetables are soft.
chili powder, sugar, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Add tomatoes with their liquid,
breaking them up with a knife or the back of a spoon.
- Add corn, beans, potatoes
and water. Bring to a boil, stirring well. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer until potatoes
are tender. Stir occasionally during cooking.
* Ranch-style beans are spicy pinto beans. If not available, use any brand of canned pinto beans, and,
if desired, add chopped green chiles.