Grand Central Station Oyster Stew
The oyster bar that opened in Grand Central Station in New York City on May 22,
1912 still serves an Oyster Stew made according to its original recipe.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 quart oysters and liquor
- 2 tablespoons
- Celery salt
- Paprika (optional)
This recipe is prepared quickly.
- Heat soup bowls before you begin.
- Scald milk
and cream together but do not boil.
- Drain oyster liquor into a saucepan and bring
to a boil. Heat oysters in a separate saucepan with 2 tablespoons of the oyster
liquor and the butter until the oysters are plump and the edges begin to curl. Remove
from heat immediately.
- Combine hot milk and cream, hot oysters and hot oyster liquor.
- Add salt, pepper and celery salt.
- Ladle into soup bowls, sprinkle with paprika,
and serve with oyster crackers.
Serves 6 to 8.