Green Chile Stew
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark Mexican
- 1 cup mild or medium-hot green salsa
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano
or 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 medium potatoes,
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can hominy, drained
- 12 scallions, bias-sliced into
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- Toss beef cubes with flour.
- In a large Dutch oven brown the beef cubes, half
at a time, in melted butter or margarine. Using a slotted spoon remove meat from
pan. Add garlic to pan; cook 1 minute.
- Add broth, beer, salsa, oregano and cumin.
Return meat to pot. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 1/2
hours or until meat is nearly tender.
- Add potatoes; simmer about 30 minutes more or until meat and potatoes are tender.
- Add hominy, green chiles, scallions and cilantro; heat through.
Makes 8 main-dish servings.