Honest and True Irish Stew
This is a favorite recipe from the American Lamb Council.
- 6 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 pounds lean, bone-in lamb or 1 1/2 pounds boneless lamb, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried summer savory
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or
1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 1/2 cups water
- In Dutch oven layer half the potatoes, and then all the lamb and onions.
salt, pepper, thyme and summer savory. Sprinkle half of salt mixture and 1 tablespoon
of the parsley over onions.
- Layer remaining potatoes; sprinkle with remaining salt
mixture. Pour water over all. Bring to boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer gently
2 to 2 1/2 hours until lamb is tender. Add water as needed to maintain level about
1 inch in bottom of pan.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Makes 6 servings.