Southern Catfish Stew
- 1 pound catfish fillets
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 cups peeled
and diced potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Wash the catfish fillets and cut them into 1-inch pieces.
- Fry the bacon for 2 to 3 minutes in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Add the onion and
bell pepper and cook until tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a
simmer. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add the fish and cook for 20 minutes.
- Correct the seasonings if necessary and
serve hot with cornbread.
Makes 6 servings.