Sweet and Spicy Tomato and
Pepper Chicken Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thigh meat, boneless and skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 Spanish onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat. When hot, add chicken
and stir. Sauté, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until chicken is browned
on all sides.
- Add green pepper, onions, and garlic. Stir and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring
occasionally, for about 6-7 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add chili powder, Garam masala, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and brown sugar. Sauté,
stirring, for another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock, raisins, and vinegar. Stir, raise heat to high and bring
to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for about 25-30 minutes or until chicken
is tender and cooked through.
- Add beans, stir, and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until beans are heated through.
- Serve (over rice, if desired) garnished with chopped parsley.
Nutritional Information, Per Serving: 260 calories; 11 g fat; 2.5 g saturated
fat; 330 mg sodium; 23 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 10 g sugars; 19 g protein
Reprinted with permission from the National Chicken Council.