Veal and Pepper Stew
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds veal, cubed
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 sprigs Italian parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, plus more to taste
(28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a deep sauté pan or casserole dish. Saute the veal
until brown, and remove from the pan.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan, and sauté the peppers and onions until browned
on the edges. Remove half the vegetables from the pan, reserving for garnish.
garlic, half the parsley, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper to the remaining vegetables.
Stir for 1 minute, then add crushed tomatoes and the reserved meat, along with any
meat juices that have accumulated. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and simmer on low
heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, till veal is nicely tender.
- Add the reserved peppers, onions, and parsley.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Reprinted with permission from King Arthur Flour - kingarthurflour.com.