Cabbage and Cheese Soup
This Cabbage and Cheese Soup was created by Chef Roberto Donna.
- 1 pound savoy cabbage
- 1 quart beef stock
- 2 mild Italian sausages (1/2 pound)
- 8 ounces aged cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices country bread (about
1/2-inch thick), cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
- Clean and wash the cabbage leaves. Cook in boiling water 5 minutes or until
limp. Drain well and julienne the leaves. Set aside.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, bring the beef stock to a boil with the sausages.
Simmer 8 to 10 minutes until thoroughly cooked. Remove from the stock and cut
into thin slices. Set aside.
- Cut the cheddar cheese into thin slices. Set aside.
- Melt the butter over low heat.
- In an oven-proof casserole (preferably terracotta), arrange 3 of the bread
slices. Layer with the cabbage, sausage, cheese, and remaining bread. Drizzle
the top layer of the bread with melted butter. Gently pour the boiled stock
over the top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until the top bread layer is crisp and the soup
is thoroughly heated.
- Spoon into soup bowls. Season to taste.
Makes 6 servings.
Reprinted with permission from Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.