Classic Onion Soup
- 4 large yellow onions (about 9 to 11 ounces each), sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 quarts reduced sodium chicken broth
cup brandy (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 baguette French bread,
- Grated Romano cheese
- Melt butter in large saucepan that holds at least 4 quarts. Add onions; cook
over medium heat 12 minutes, or until tender and golden. Stir often.
- Add sugar and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add broth; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 minutes
- If desired, add brandy; cook 2 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowl; float toast on soup.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Information: Per serving: About 362 cal, 16 g pro, 30 g carb, 17
g fat, 42% cal from fat, 51 mg chol, 1100 mg sod, 3 g fiber
Recipe and photo credit: National Onion Association.