Cream of Tomato Basil Soup
Blending the ingredients before they become hot makes cooking tomato soup
from scratch in 20 minutes, even easier.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Del Monte® Diced Tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups College Inn® Chicken Broth
- 1 (8 ounce) Del Monte® Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Croutons, optional
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and stir
until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Blend tomatoes and cooked onion in a food processor or blender until very
smooth. Return to saucepan.
- Add broth, tomato sauce and basil. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream.
- Add sugar to taste, if desired. Heat over low heat about 1 minute, or until
hot. DO NOT BOIL.
- Serve with basil and garlic croutons, if desired.
Serves 6 | Prep Time: 10 min. | Cook Time: 10 min.
Recipe and photo credit: Del Monte.