Creamy Green Onion Soup
This simple soup is easy to make and a pleasure to eat. A handful of mushrooms
and a touch of cream give it body and character, while the green onions add plenty
of springtime zip.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 bunches scallions
- Salt and freshly-ground black
pepper, to taste
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups small mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- In a heavy-bottom soup pot, melt the butter and add the green onions, along with
salt and pepper to taste. Sauté for a few minutes, until the onions are softened,
then add broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to
simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the mushrooms.
- Puree everything in a food processor or blender until smooth,
then put the soup back into the pot, add the cream and the remaining mushrooms,
and heat gently (do not boil) until the mushrooms are tender.