Creamy Wild Rice Soup
This soup is great for a starter or as a meal with focaccia bread on the side.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil 30 mL
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups white
mushrooms, sliced thick 750 mL
- 1 cup Shiitake mushrooms 250 mL
- 1 clove garlic,
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock 375 mL
- 2 1/2 cups milk 625 mL
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley 2 mL
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour 45 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon
salt 2 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper 1 mL
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked wild
rice 375 to 500 mL
- Heat canola oil in frying pan. Sauté onion, mushrooms and garlic until tender.
Remove from heat.
- In medium saucepan, mix together chicken stock and milk over medium heat until
it comes to a boil.
- Add mushroom mixture, bay leaf, parsley, flour, salt, pepper and wild rice to
milk mixture. Stir occasionally and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving Calories 240 Fat 7g Saturated Fat 1gCholesterol
5mg Sodium 450mg Carbohydrates 33g Fibre 4g Protein 0g
Source: CanolaInfo Virtual Test Kicthen - http://canolainfo.org