Flavorful French Onion Soup
- 8 cups College Inn® Beef Broth 99% Fat Free
- 1/4 cup
- 2 1/2 pounds onions thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional
- 1/4 cup A1 sauce
- 3 cups French bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoons
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter.
- Add the onions, brown sugar and pepper; cook over low heat until onion are lightly
browned, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle onions with flour; stir to blended. Gradually stir in broth.
- Add wine and steak sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss bread cubes with oil and butter.
- Combine the oregano, basil, salt and pepper; sprinkle over bread and toss to
- Transfer to an ungreased 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish soup with croutons and cheese.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 1 hr 45 min | Total Time: 2 hr 5 min | Makes
Recipe and photo credit: College Inn®/©Del Monte Corporation.