French Onion Soup
Classic and simple, this beef-broth based soup features the flavor of caramelized
onions topped with grated Swiss and Gruyere cheese melted over the thick cubes of
- 1/4 cup Challenge Unsalted Butter (1/2 stick)
- 6 medium yellow onions, thinly
sliced (6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 (14 ounce) cans “lower sodium” beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 6 slices sourdough
French bread, toasted and cubed
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; cook slowly (25 minutes)
- Blend in flour and black pepper. Stir in broth and water. Bring to a boil and
simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add Sherry. Ladle into ovenproof bowls. Float bread cubes and sprinkle with
- Broil until cheeses melt and begin to brown.
Source: Challenge Home Economist
Reprinted with permission from Challenge Dairy - challengedairy.com.