Fried Green Tomato Soup
with Cornbread Croutons
This recipe, developed by Cynthia Wilson, was the winning entry in the No Reservations
McCormick Gourmet™ recipe contest.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 large green tomatoes, coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Thyme
- Pinch McCormick Gourmet™ Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
- 1 piece cornbread, about 3-inch square
- Heat oil in 2-quart saucepan on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 10 minutes
or until softened.
- Add tomatoes; cook on medium-low heat 25 minutes or until tomatoes are softened,
- Add water; simmer 30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender.
- With center part of cover removed to let steam escape, puree soup in batches
in blender on high speed until smooth.
- Strain and return soup to saucepan.
- Add salt, thyme and pepper; simmer 20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, for the Cornbread Croutons, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut prepared cornbread into 12 (3/4-inch) cubes. Place on baking sheet. Bake
for 10 minutes or until toasted.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top each with 3 croutons.
10 mins Prep time | 1 hr 30 mins Cook time | Serves: 4; serving size: 3/4 cup
Test Kitchen Tip: This soup is also delicious served chilled. Prepare soup as
directed. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Serve with Cornbread
Nutrition information (Amount per serving) Calories: 184 Cholesterol: 7mg
Sodium: 715mg Protein: 3g Total Fat: 12g Fiber: 2g Carbohydrate: 16g
Reprinted with permission from McCormick.