Garlic Soup 3
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 heads garlic, wrapped in cheesecloth tied with kitchen string
- 4 cups defatted
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 4 sprigs parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
cup nonfat milk
- In a stockpot, bring oil and wine to a boil; add onion, reduce heat to medium,
and cook until soft.
- Lay cheesecloth-wrapped garlic on cutting board and smash with
the flat side of a knife or cleaver. Add bundle to the stockpot, along with stock,
bay leaves, thyme, marjoram and parsley. Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover, and
simmer 45 minutes. Do not boil or garlic will become bitter.
- Remove garlic; discard cheesecloth. Puree garlic in a food mill or sieve; discard
skins. Stir puree, salt, pepper and milk into soup; heat through and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Per serving (1 cup): 72 calories; 2 g fat (0.1 g saturated fat; 25 percent
calories from fat); 4 g carbohydrates; 17 mg cholesterol; 191 mg sodium; 6 g protein;
0.6 g fiber