Onion Soup with Two Cheeses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups onions, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (or water)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices 3/4-inch French bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin asiago cheese, finely shredded
- 1 cup (4 ounces) part-skim Wisconsin mozzarella cheese, finely
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and 1/2 teaspoon
salt; stir to coat with butter. Cook over medium-low heat about 35 minutes until
onions are golden brown, stirring often.
- Add broth, red wine and bay leaf. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper
- Ladle equally into four 1 1/2-cup ovenproof bowls.
- Add a slice of toast to each; push down to saturate with broth.
- Mix cheeses and thyme. Completely cover bread and soup with cheese mixture,
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for about 10 minutes, until cheeses melt and turn
- Serve immediately.
Recipe and photo credit:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.