Roasted Vegetable Minestrone
Absolutely fabulous! The roasted veggies with the prosciutto add many wonderful
flavors to this earthy, rich Italian vegetable soup. Roast the veggies and then
complete the soup in minutes.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium yellow squash, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 pound/500g)
- 5 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper 2 mL
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 2 ounces prosciutto 55g
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano 5 mL
- 1 teaspoon basil 5 mL
- Dash red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14 ounce/398 mL) can whole tomatoes in juice, broken up
- 9 cups chicken broth, regular or low sodium 2.25L
- 1 (16 ounce/455 mL) can cannelloni beans or white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup penne pasta noodles 150 mL
- Garnish: grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant,
tomatoes, red onion, and garlic.
- Add canola oil, salt and pepper to taste and toss.
- Line baking sheet with foil. Place vegetables on the foil lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring vegetables after 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large non-stick pot, coated with canola oil cooking spray, cook prosciutto,
oregano, basil and red pepper flakes over medium heat for 1 minute, stirring
- Add bay leaves, tomatoes, chicken broth and white beans. Bring mixture to
a boil and add pasta. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the pasta
- Remove bay leaves. Stir in roasted vegetables.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories 130 Fat 1g Saturated Fat 0g Cholesterol
0mg Sodium 470mg Carbohydrates 23g Fibre 5g Protein 8g
Recipe and photo credit: canolainfo.org