Rusty's Old Fashioned Vegetable Soup
- 3 1/4 pounds stew beef
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups potatoes,
peeled and diced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 carrot, whole
- 1/2 cup celery,
- 1 stalk celery, whole
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups green beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small onion, whole
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 (1 pound 12 ounce) can tomatoes
- In a large stockpot, cook stew beef in salted water with one whole carrot, one
small onion, one stalk of celery, bay leaf and peppercorns until stew beef is cooked
through and tender (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours).
- Remove beef from broth and strain broth through cheesecloth. Return broth to
stockpot. Discard cooked vegetables.
- Refrigerate stew beef until needed.
- Into the broth, add marjoram, thyme, potatoes, sliced carrots, chopped celery
and cabbage. Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender (about 1 hour).
- Add chopped onion, corn, peas and tomatoes. Cook until all vegetables are soft.
- Return stew meat to soup and cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 2003/12/1 22:50.