Sweet Potato Chipotle Cheddar Soup
There's nothing quite as satisfying as a rich, hearty soup. This lactose free
sweet potato chipotle soup features the perfect combination of decadent Cabot Farmhouse
Reserve, tasty sweet potatoes and just a hint of cinnamon and chipotle to create
a dish that's both satisfying and nutritious. This soup works well as an appetizer,
and it's best when served with some fresh-from-the-oven bread.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 6 cups reduced-sodium
chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, minced, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 6 ounces Cabot Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar or Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 sliced green onions for
- Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add onions,
celery and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and
starting to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and cinnamon and cook just until spices are fragrant, about
- Add sweet potatoes and broth, cover pot, increase heat to high and bring
- Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain gentle simmer and cook, uncovered,
until potatoes are completely soft and falling apart, about 20 minutes. Add
chili and vinegar and remove from heat.
- Working in batches, transfer several cups of sweet potato mixture to blender
and puree (use caution when pureeing hot liquids). Alternatively, puree with
- Add cheddar to soup, stirring until completely melted.
- Serve topped with green onions.
Makes 7 (2-cup) servings.
Recipe used with permission from Katie Webster - healthyseasonalrecipes.com
Reprinted with permission from Cabot Creamery - cabotcheese.coop.