Wisconsin Cheese and Beer Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound baking potatoes,
peeled and cubed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon
hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook
until very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour; cook 1 minute.
- Add potato, broth
and beer. Bring to boiling; cook 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine heavy cream, mustard, salt, hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce
in small bowl. Stir into soup. Remove from heat.
- Add cheese, stirring until cheese
is melted and smooth.
- Remove 2 cups of soup and solids to blender or food processor.
- Stir back into soup.
- Serve immediately.