Sourdough Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- 2 cups unbleached flour1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Cream together the shortening and sugar, add egg and mix until blended
- Stir in bananas and sourdough starter.
- Add orange peel or vanilla extract.
- Stir flour and measure again with salt, baking powder and soda.
- Add flour mixture and walnuts to the first mixture, stirring until just blended.
- Pour into greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 1 hour or until wooden pick comes out clean.
- Cool to cold.
Posted by Marla at Recipe Goldmine 1/23/2002, 6:45 am
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.