Sourdough Chocolate Cranberry Cake
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
cup powdered milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 2 eggs
- 3 (1 ounce) squares melted semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 16
ounce can whole berry cranberry sauce
- In a large, non-metallic bowl, combine sourdough starter, water, flour and powdered
- Let ferment uncovered, for 2 to 3 hours in a warm place until bubbly and a
clear sour milk odor develops.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking
spray and, using a small sieve or shaker, dust lightly with cocoa powder.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together sugar, oil, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon
and baking soda.
- Add eggs, melted semi-sweet baking chocolate, and cranberry sauce.
- Combine the mixtures together and stir until well blended.
- Pour into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F
(175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until knife inserted into center comes
- Cool at least 10 minutes before serving, excellent served slightly warm.
- Garnish by sifting confectioners sugar onto a paper doily or just dollop spoonsful
of whole berry cranberry sauce on top of each serving of cake. This cake can also
be baked in two- 8 inch round layer cake pans, baking time is decreased to 20 to
25 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Another can of whole berry cranberry sauce can be spread generously between and
on top of the unfrosted layered cake rounds for an impressive look during the holidays!
Makes one 9 x 13-inch cake