Sourdough Rye Bread
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 3 cups rye
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons caraway seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 to 3 cups
all-purpose flour, divided
- Soften yeast in warm water.
- Blend in rye flour, sourdough starter, sugar, butter,
caraway seed and salt.
- Add 1 cup all-purpose flour. Stir into flour yeast mixture.
- Add enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
- Turn out onto floured
surface and knead 5 to 8 minutes, until smooth, adding more flour, if necessary.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once. Cover with a cloth. Set in warm place free
from drafts and let rise for 1 1/2 hours or until double in bulk.
- Punch down and divide in half. Cover and let rise 10 minutes.
- Shape into 2 loaves. Place in 2 greased loaf pans. Let rise until almost double.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.