Sourdough Rye Bread
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 3 cups rye
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons caraway seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 to 3 cups
all-purpose flour, divided
- Soften yeast in warm water.
- Blend in rye flour, sourdough starter, sugar, butter,
caraway seed and salt.
- Add 1 cup all-purpose flour. Stir into flour yeast mixture.
- Add enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
- Turn out onto floured
surface and knead 5 to 8 minutes, until smooth, adding more flour, if necessary.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once. Cover with a cloth. Set in warm place free
from drafts and let rise for 1 1/2 hours or until double in bulk.
- Punch down and divide in half. Cover and let rise 10 minutes.
- Shape into 2 loaves. Place in 2 greased loaf pans. Let rise until almost double.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.