- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Cooking oil for frying
- Measure starter into a large bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Cut in shortening
until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Add starter mixture to dry ingredients. Stir quickly
with a fork to moisten dry ingredients.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and
knead until smooth, adding small amounts of flour as needed.
- Cover with clean cloth
and let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll dough out into a 12 x 15-inch rectangle about 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick. Cut
into 3-inch squares or triangles.
- Drop a few pieces at a time into deep, hot cooking oil at 400 degrees F (205
degrees C). Fry about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Sopapillas will
puff up like pillows.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm with honey and confectioners' sugar or cinnamon and sugar. Or
you can serve as an entree topped with chile verde or chile colorado.