Sourdough Wheat Bread
- 1 package dry yeast
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 1/2
to 3 cups unbleached white flour or all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl, soften yeast in warm water.
- Blend in whole wheat flour,
sourdough starter, molasses, butter and salt.
- Combine 1 cup of unbleached white flour and baking soda. Stir into flour and
- Add enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
out onto floured surface and knead for 5 to 6 minutes or until smooth. Shape into a
ball. Place in a greased bowl, turning once. Cover with a cloth. Set in warm place
free from drafts and let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Punch down and divide in half, cover and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Shape in 2 loaves
and place in 2 greased loaf pans; cover and let rise for about 1 hour or double in size.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.
Makes 2 loaves.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.