Carnival Cake with Strawberry Sauce
This cake may be served without the strawberry sauce if desired, which would
be preferable if you are going to be walking around while eating it! Truthfully,
these are just as fabulous served just with the confectioners' sugar on top.
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Confectioners' sugar, for topping
- Vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ripe strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (depending on sweetness of berries)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 pinch kosher or sea salt
- Carnival Cake: Heat one inch of oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Combine milk, egg and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda and sugar and
gradually add to milk mixture. Beat with a mixer until a smooth batter
forms. Fold in melted butter.
- Pour batter into a funnel or squeeze bottle while using your index
finger to stop the flow of the batter. Bring the funnel over the hot oil and
release your finger to start a stream of batter while moving the funnel in a
circular motion to create spiral-like shapes.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown and slightly puffed. Sprinkle
with powdered sugar.
- Strawberry Sauce: Combine ingredients in medium saucepan over medium-low
heat; stir gently until sugar dissolves and berries are soft, about 10
- Remove from heat and cool.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 13 mins
Total time: 28 mins
servings; 3 1/2 cups Strawberry Sauce