Deep-Fried Kool-Aid Balls
This is a favorite at state fairs and carnivals!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons Kool-Aid
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons melted, unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 beaten egg
- Heat vegetable oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the melted butter, and mix until the batter is crumbly.
- Stir in the milk and the egg. Mix until smooth.
- Roll the dough into quarter-size balls and drop them carefully into the
hot oil a few at a time.
- Cook in oil for about 3 minutes. Remove when the fried Kool-Aid batter is
golden brown and crispy.
- Allow the Deep Fried Kool-Aid Balls to cool a bit before eating. They will
burn you badly if eaten too soon.
Optional: If desired, the deep fried Kool-Aid balls can be rolled in a mixture
of powdered sugar and cherry Kool-Aid after they are fried. Use about 1/8 cup Kool-Aid
to 1/2 cup powdered sugar.