Fried Mac and Cheese Balls
A kid friendly twist with flavorful mac & cheese - serve on sticks with dipping
- 1 (7 ounce) box Betty Crocker™ mac & cheese original
- Margarine and milk
called for on mac & cheese box
- 1 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups Progresso™ Italian style bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Make mac & cheese as directed on bo.
- Stir in shredded cheese and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs.
- Cover; refrigerate for about 20 minutes or until firm.
- Line large cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper.
- Using 1/4-cup measuring cup, scoop mac & cheese mixture into balls;
roll in remaining bread crumbs. Place on cookie sheet.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- In deep fat fryer or heavy saucepan, heat 3 inches oil to 375 degrees F.
- Fry balls in hot oil in small batches 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with ranch dressing or barbecue sauce, if desired.
20 min prep time
1 hr 20 min total time
For a flavor boost, stir 1/2 cup fire-roasted tomatoes into the mac & cheese
mixture after refrigerating.
Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1 Ball Calories 150 Calories from Fat 60 Total
Fat 6g Saturated Fat 2 1/2g Trans Fat 1/2g Cholesterol 10mg Sodium 330mg Total Carbohydrate
17g Dietary Fiber 0g Sugars 0g Protein 5g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 6% Iron 6%
Exchanges:1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit: Pillsbury.