Big Game FRITOS® Pies
Everyone will love their own individual serving of Fritos Pie. This recipe is easily doubled or tripled.
- 2 pounds ground beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups beer (12 ounce can)
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal or masa harina
- 8 (1 to 2 ounce) bags FRITOS® Corn Chips
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat large Dutch oven over high heat until hot. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and
ground beef. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into small crumbles and stir
occasionally. Work in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan and
stewing the beef in it’s own juices. Remove beef; set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over high heat. Add onion; cook until
evenly browned. Add cooked ground beef, chili powder, cumin, garlic and
cayenne powder. Season with salt, as desired. Stir until combined.
- Stir in beer, tomatoes and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat,
cover, cook 1 hour until chili thickens. Stir in cornmeal. If chili becomes
too thick, add a little water. If chili is not thick enough, simmer until
desired consistency is reached.
- Slice or fold open bags; spoon beef chili on top FRITOS® Corn Chips. Top
each bag with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese. Allow to melt slightly, then
serve and enjoy.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 430 Calories; 22 g Total Fat; 10 g
Saturated Fat; 1.1 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 8.1 g Monounsaturated Fat; 0 g Trans
Fat; 140 mg Cholesterol; 640 mg Sodium; 664 mg Potassium; 11 g Total
carbohydrate; 42 g Protein; 5 mg Iron; 3.3 mg Niacin; 0.6 mg Vitamin B6; 137.2
mg Choline; 4 mcg Vitamin B12; 9.7 mg Zinc; 49.9 mcg Selenium; 2 g Fiber
Recipe and photo credit: Texas Beef