Block and Tackle Idaho® Potato Casserole
Block and Tackle Idaho Potato Casserole is perfect for tailgating.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, quarteredlengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, scrubbed and cutinto 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 4-ounce tomatoes, halved, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup light sour cream, optional
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat one tablespoon oil in large, nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
Brown sausage, about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside on separate
- Add onion to skillet juices and cook 4 minutes or until onion begins to
- Add garlic and cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the potatoes, sausage and any accumulated juices to onion mixture.
- In small bowl, combine oregano, paprika, salt, black pepper and cayenne.
Add to mixture in skillet and stir until well blended.
- Carefully transfer mixture from skillet and place in 9-inch by 13-inch baking
dish. Drizzle with remaining oil. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 45 minutes
or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly and then top with tomatoes, green peppers and jalapeno
- Return to oven and bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat and let stand 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to absorb.
- Spoon sour cream on top of each serving, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving: 270 calories, 11g fat, 0 g trans
fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 490 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, 14
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Idaho Potato Commission
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.