Football Season Cornbread
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup heavy
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 3/4 cups grated
or shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the bacon in the microwave and chop into medium chunks; chop two jalapenos
and add to large bowl.
- Cook the corn in a saucepan with a few tablespoons of water for five minutes
or until fully done; drain; return to pan; add cream, two tablespoons butter, two
tablespoons water and cook until thick and creamy, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Set aside and let cool, then add to large bowl No. 1 (with bacon and jalapeno
mixture) and mix well.
- In second large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne
and salt and mix well.
- In third large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk and two tablespoons melted butter.
- Combine bowls 2 and 3 and mix well, add cheese, then add bowl No. 1 and mix well.
- Coat warm (not hot) 10-inch to 12-inch cast iron skillet with one tablespoon
butter, bottom and sides, then add mixture and bake for 30-40 minutes at 375 degrees
F or until top is golden brown and a knife passes through center of crust cleanly.
- Serve with chili.
Serves 4 to 6.
Other game day recipes you may like...
Cheesy Reuben Appetizer
Slow-Cooked Barbecue Pork Sandwiches
Savory Ranch Chex Mix
Fiery Kickoff Wings