Midwestern Runza Sandwiches
- 3 loaves frozen bread dough
- 1/2 cup shortening or butter
- 3 pounds very
lean ground beef
- 3 medium cabbages, shredded
- 3 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons
- Defrost frozen bread dough according to package directions; let rise once.
- Heat shortening or butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add ground beef, cabbage and onion. Cook until cabbage is slightly soft, about
5 - 7 minutes; do not brown.
- Drain beef mixture and stir in salt and pepper; set aside.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll bread dough into a 12-inch square that is 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 6-inch
- Divide beef mixture evenly among the squares; bring corners together and pinch
sides shut on each square. Let rise for 20 minutes.
- Prick gently with fork to allow steam to escape as they bake.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until brown.
- Brush tops with melted butter.
Makes 12 sandwiches.
Variations: Add Velveeta cheese to the filling. You can also add marinara sauce,
mozzarella cheese, cumin, chili powder and jalapeno peppers or pepper jack cheese.