Midwestern Runza Sandwiches
- 3 loaves frozen bread dough
- 1/2 cup shortening or butter
- 3 pounds very
lean ground beef
- 3 medium cabbages, shredded
- 3 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons
- Defrost frozen bread dough according to package directions; let rise once.
- Heat shortening or butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add ground beef, cabbage and onion. Cook until cabbage is slightly soft, about
5 - 7 minutes; do not brown.
- Drain beef mixture and stir in salt and pepper; set aside.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll bread dough into a 12-inch square that is 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 6-inch
- Divide beef mixture evenly among the squares; bring corners together and pinch
sides shut on each square. Let rise for 20 minutes.
- Prick gently with fork to allow steam to escape as they bake.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until brown.
- Brush tops with melted butter.
Makes 12 sandwiches.
Variations: Add Velveeta cheese to the filling. You can also add marinara sauce,
mozzarella cheese, cumin, chili powder and jalapeno peppers or pepper jack cheese.
Other game day recipes you may like...
Cheesy Reuben Appetizer
Slow-Cooked Barbecue Pork Sandwiches
Savory Ranch Chex Mix
Fiery Kickoff Wings