Popcorn Touchdown Centerpiece with
Chocolate Coated Bananas
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 quarts unsalted popped popcorn
- Licorice string
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 8 bananas, cut in half
- 16 wooden skewers
- Combine sugar, water, salt, corn syrup and vinegar; cook to hard ball stage (250
- Add vanilla and pour over popped popcorn; mix well
- Shape into football centerpiece.
- Use any remaining popcorn for popcorn balls to pack for a game-time snack.
- Cut licorice strings into one 8-inch piece and five 3-inch pieces. Lay 8-inch
piece of licorice lengthwise along top of football. Place 3-inch pieces crosswise
to form lacings.
- In heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening over low heat
- Insert skewers into cut ends of bananas.
- Brush chocolate coating on bananas with pastry brush.
- Place chocolate bananas on cookie sheet; freeze 2 hours.
- At serving time, carefully remove from cookie sheet; stick skewers into popcorn
If freezer space allows, bananas may be frozen upright by sticking skewers into
an empty milk carton.
Other game day recipes you may like...
Cheesy Reuben Appetizer
Slow-Cooked Barbecue Pork Sandwiches
Savory Ranch Chex Mix
Fiery Kickoff Wings