Popcorn Touchdown Centerpiece with
Chocolate Coated Bananas
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 quarts unsalted popped popcorn
- Licorice string
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 8 bananas, cut in half
- 16 wooden skewers
- Combine sugar, water, salt, corn syrup and vinegar; cook to hard ball stage (250
- Add vanilla and pour over popped popcorn; mix well
- Shape into football centerpiece.
- Use any remaining popcorn for popcorn balls to pack for a game-time snack.
- Cut licorice strings into one 8-inch piece and five 3-inch pieces. Lay 8-inch
piece of licorice lengthwise along top of football. Place 3-inch pieces crosswise
to form lacings.
- In heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening over low heat
- Insert skewers into cut ends of bananas.
- Brush chocolate coating on bananas with pastry brush.
- Place chocolate bananas on cookie sheet; freeze 2 hours.
- At serving time, carefully remove from cookie sheet; stick skewers into popcorn
If freezer space allows, bananas may be frozen upright by sticking skewers into
an empty milk carton.