- 1 (16 ounce) package hot roll mix
- 1 1/4 cups
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds spicy Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
For garlic butter
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon minced
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- For filling, remove sausage from casing. Sauté sausage in large skillet,
breaking up with fork, until sausage is cooked and browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make hot roll mix according to package directions for pizza, replacing egg
and butter with hot water and olive oil. Let dough stand for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into an oval about 5 x 7 inches.
- Place 1/4 cup of Italian cheese blend in center of each oval.
- Top with 1/3 cup cooked sausage.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon pizza sauce over sausage.
- Sprinkle with another 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bring up edges of dough and seal securely. Transfer calzone to lightly greased
baking sheet, placing seam side up to form a "football" shape.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Set calzones in a warm place to
rise, covered with towel, 25 minutes.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- In a small skillet, heat butter and garlic over low heat until butter is
melted and garlic is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Remove calzones from oven when lightly browned.
- Brush hot calzones with garlic butter and sprinkle each with 1/2 tablespoon
- Return to oven until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Servings: 8 | Prep Time: 45 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins
* To make "football laces" on calzones, cut thinly sliced mozzarella
into thin strips. Arrange on calzones after brushing on garlic butter and sprinkling
with Parmesan cheese.
Calzones can be baked and refrigerated up to 2 days in advance. Reheat at 350
degrees F until hot, about 20 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from the American Dairy Association.