Queso Blanco Dip (White Cheese Dip)
This is the hard-to-find dip that is served in many Mexican restaurants.
- 1 cup cheese (Monterey jack, Asadero or Chihuahua), finely shredded
- 4 ounces green chiles
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Put all ingredients into a double boiler and cook over medium or medium-low
heat until melted and well blended, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with fresh tostadas or hot flour tortillas.