- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped (1 medium)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chile
peppers, rinsed, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can
shrimp, drained and chopped
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a saucepan, cook onion and garlic in the 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
until the onion is tender.
- Stir in the UNDRAINED tomatoes, chile peppers, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
Bring to boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes; set aside,
keeping it warm.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt for about 5 minutes
or until thick and lemon-colored.
- Fold the reserved whites into the yolks and sprinkle the flour on top of
- Fold in and then fold in the shrimp.
- In a deep skillet or saucepan heat 1 inch of vegetable oil to 365 degrees
- Spoon the shrimp mixture into the hot oil using 2 tablespoons for small
fritters or 1/4 cup for large fritters.
- Fry about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper toweling.
- Serve hot with the tomato sauce.
Other Southwestern appetizer recipes you may like...
Shredded Pork Taquitos
Stinging Scorpion Guacamole