Beans from the Pot (Frijoles de Olla)
Properly chilled, the beans will keep up to three days.
- 1 1/2 cups pinto beans
- 1 ounce salt pork, in 1 piece (cut into chunks about the size of 3 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Place all ingredients except the salt in the pot, bring to a boil and simmer, partially covered, until the beans are tender but not so soft they lose all texture. This can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours or more depending on the age of the beans and if they were soaked. There should always be just enough liquid in the pot to cover the beans.
- After the beans have cooked, add the salt only if Frijoles de Olla is to be the end result. If you are preparing refried beans, the salt will be added later. Remove the beans.
- For Frijoles de Olla, serve immediately or allow them to cool, still partially covered, and refrigerate them until you are ready to use them.