- 1 pound pinto beans
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large garlic cloves,
- 3 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon ground
hot red chile
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted ground cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Sort, rinse and soak beans overnight in about 3 quarts of water.
- Drain beans and cover them with about 1 inch of fresh water.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Cook beans, covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until they
- Heat remaining oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté garlic, jalapenos and onion until just tender.
- Add sautéed vegetables to the beans with the ground chile, cumin and salt; stir
well. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Other Southwestern bean recipes you may like...
Refried Beans Supreme
Horseshoe Cafe Cowboy Beans