Chuckwagon Chili Beans
- 6 cups boiled pinto beans, cooked just until almost tender, with cooking water*
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons powdered red chiles
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Stir tomato puree and powdered chiles into the beans and their cooking water,
cover the casserole and bake for about 1 hour or until the liquid has thickened
to a sauce.
* Prepare the beans as in the
Frijoles de Olla recipe, cooking
them just until almost tender because they will cook further in this recipe.