New Mexico Pinto Beans
- 2 1/2 cups dried pinto beans
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 cup ham or salt pork, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chile peppers (optional)
- Pepper to taste
- Sort beans. Discard pebbles, shriveled beans and floaters.
- Wash beans under running water.
- Put into pan, cover with 3 quarts water and soak overnight.
- Drain beans and discard soaking water.
- Pour beans into slow cooker.
- Cover with fresh water.
- Add meat, garlic, chile, salt and pepper.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 10 hours or until beans are soft.
Other Southwestern bean recipes you may like...
Refried Beans Supreme
Horseshoe Cafe Cowboy Beans