One-Pot Cheesy Mexican Beans & Rice
One-Pot Cheesy Mexican Beans & Rice is easy to make and very
satisfying. This tasty recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or ghee
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 sweet potato, about 12 ounces, spiralized or shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn (defrosted)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 4 ounces Cabot Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup for recipe, plus more for garnish)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Warm ghee or olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper and sauté until softened.
- Add sweet potatoes and continue cooking until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, corn and green chiles.
- Season with cumin, chili powder, turmeric and smoked paprika. Stir until well combined.
- Add vegetable broth and cook for 5 minutes more scraping up and stirring in any bits from the bottom. Add canned tomatoes and cooked rice. Stir everything together and simmer on low heat for about 7 minutes.
- Stir in cheese right before serving and heat until cheese is melted. Top each plate with cilantro and more cheese, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings | Prep: 20 min | Cook: 30 min
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Cabot Creamery Co-operative
>> SOUTHWESTERN RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.