Pot of Beans
These beans are delicious served over cornbread.
- 1 pound pinto beans
- 1/2 pound black beans
- 1/2 pound red beans
- 6 cups chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons dried epazote or 2 tablespoons fresh epazote, chopped
- 3 strips bacon, diced large
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 whole head of garlic
- Rinse beans and pick out debris or any beans that are shriveled.
- Pour beans into a large bowl and add water to cover. Soak overnight. Pour off
- Place drained beans in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Add enough water to cover
by 2 inches.
- Stir in 4 cups of the onion, epazote, bacon, chicken bouillon cubes, pepper,
chili powder and cayenne.
- Cut off the end of the garlic pod and pull off white paper-like layer. Leave
unpeeled cloves attached to root end. Add to bean pot.
- Bring liquid to a boil over high heat. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 2
to 3 hours, until beans are tender.
- Add remaining 2 cups onion and cook 2 to 3 hours longer, covered. Add more liquid
if necessary. Cook until beans are quite soft.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
Yield: 12 servings