Santa Fe Frijoles Refritos
- 4 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups well-cooked pinto beans, drained (reserve cooking liquid)
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in large skillet and sauté onion until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add beans and chipotles; mash mixture with bean masher or back of large spoon,
adding reserved bean cooking liquid or water until a thick paste is formed.
- You also can use a food processor to "mash" beans. To do this, transfer
about 3/4 of bean mixture to food processor and pulse until mixture is coarsely
- Return mashed beans to pot. Continue to cook, stirring, until heated through.
- If beans seem too dry, add a little more cooking liquid.
- Add salt to taste.
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: 183 calories, 25g carbohydrates, 6g total fat (1.4g saturated),
trace cholesterol, 8g fiber, 299mg sodium, 51mg calcium. Calories from fat: 30%
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Southwestern Bean Recipes