- 1 quart dried red beans
- 1/2 pound salt pork
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 cup lard or vegetable oil
- Several dried red Mexican chile peppers
- 1/2 pound round steak
- 1 can green chiles or 3 fresh fried chiles
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt, to taste
- Wash and clean beans.
- Soak overnight in warm water with no salt.
- Add salt pork, onion and lard or oil. Cook until beans are tender.
- Cook red chiles in a small amount of water until tender. Work through a colander.
- Fry round steak in its own suet. When well done, put through a meat grinder.
- Add garlic, red and green chiles and ground meat to the beans.
- Cook over low heat long enough to mingle all the flavors.